Doddington Parish, 1848
DODDINGTON, a parish, in the union and E. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland; containing 941 inhabitants, of whom 441 are in the township of Doddington, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Wooler. This place was formerly a chapelry in the parish of Chatton, from which it was separated in 1725, and constituted a distinct parish. It includes the townships of Earl or Yeard-Hill, Ewart, Humbleton, and Nesbit, and comprises about 9,110 acres of fertile land, chiefly of a light sandy soil; the surface is generally level, but diversified with hills at Humbleton and Earl, and to the east and north of Doddington and Nesbit. Coal is wrought, and excellent freestone obtained in abundance. The township of Doddington is the property of the Earl of Tankerville, and part of the haugh lands within it, and in the township of Ewart, are equal to any tillage land in England in point of fertility. The village is pleasantly situated between two branches of a small rivulet which falls into the Till about a mile south-south-west of the church, and near it is a considerable spring, which turns a corn-mill. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Duke of Northumberland, and has a net income of £180; impropriators, the landowners of the several townships. The church was enlarged by the rebuilding of the chancel in 1838, at a cost of £456; it is a neat structure with a campanile turret, and contains 210 sittings, of which 150 are free: there are some handsome monuments to the St. Paul family.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.