Topics > Tyne and Wear > South Tyneside > South Shields > Harton > Church of St Peter, Harton

Church of St Peter, Harton


St Peter's is the parish church of Harton, in Sunderland. The church was built 1866-1867, designed in an Early English style by C Hodgson Fowler.[1] Harton became a parish in 1864; prior to that people worshiped at the Oratory, which was located to the east of the current church, built for the people of Harton in 1836 by the Rev W Coward, the curate of Westoe Chapel.[2] The church is a Grade II listed building.

Harton Grade II Listed Churches and Cathedrals Historic Buildings and Monuments in South Tyneside 1867
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Peter's church, Harton.

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Flickr (flickr)
Sr Peter's Church. Harton. South Shields

Pinned by Peter Smith
from http://www.stpetersharton.o...
St Peter’s Church, Harton
- Official Website of the church. "....The first vicar was the Rev A Phillpotts. When the parish of Harton was created by the Dean and Chapter in 1864 and the first ...

Added by
Peter Smith
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST PETER - Harton - List Entry
- " 1866-67. C Hodgson Fowler architect. Pleasant, modest church in Early English style. Coursed rubble and ashlar to windows, doors etc. Slate roofs. Church consists of chancel, nave and a south-west ...

Added by
Peter Smith

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1232324
List grade: 2
Grid ref: NZ3757264987
Borough: South Tyneside

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES