List number: 1158895
List grade: 2
Keys to the Past HER: D35421
Grid ref: NZ4421441110
Post code: SR8 4LX

Church of St Mary, Horden


St Mary's parish church on Blackhills Road in Horden was built by J.D. Potts and Son with funds from Colonel Roland Burdon, and opened in 1913.[1] In 1947 the chairs in the church were replaced with pews.[2] The church is a Grade II listed building. It was once known as the "Miners' Cathedral".
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
St Mary's Church
- "St Mary's was built in 1911 with funds from Colonel Roland Burdon, and opened in 1913." Photo by Colin Kinnear, 2015, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.geograph.org.uk/...
St Mary's Church, Horden
- Photo by JThomas, 2011, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN - Horden - List Entry
- "Parish church. 1913 by J.D. Potts and Son. Textured concrete blocks and graduated green slate roof. Cruciform plan: aisleless nave with western narthex and flanking vestries; north and south ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.stmaryshorden.co...
St Mary's Church, Horden
- Official Website of the church.

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. You can login with Twitter, Google, Co-Curate or Newcastle University accounts.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES