List number: 1197881
List grade: 2*
Grid ref: SD1946069944
Wikipedia: St. James' Church...

Church of St James, Barrow-in-Furness


 

St. James Church located on Blake Street in Barrow-in-Furness, belongs to the Church of England's Diocese of Carlisle within the ecclesiastical Province of York. The present church building dates from the mid-19th century and is Grade II* listed.

Background

St. James' was established in 1867 and construction of the building itself was completed in 1869, it was only the second Anglican church to be built in the rapidly growing town. With a capacity of over 1,000 worshipers, St. James' is the largest place of worship in the town; architecturally the building is also one of the most prominent features in the Barrow skyline. The spire of St. James' stands at 45.7 m (150 ft), while the length and breadth of the building come to 39 m (128 ft) and 18.3 m (60 ft) respectively.

The church also has a notable organ that was commissioned in 1837 to be designed and built by William Hill, and originally installed in the Chapel Royal of St. James's Palace, London. This fine organ would have been used for the wedding service on 10 February 1840 between Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. In 1865 the organ was removed (to be replaced), the original organ completed a move to its current location in 1868, and was rebuilt with a new action (and an additional 400 pipes) in 1884. Although heavily damaged in the 1941 Barrow Blitz during World War II, the church was re-opened in 1943.

Bell restoration

Extensive restoration during the 1990s has resulted in the building's current appearance. The tower contains a ring of 8 bells cast in 1877 by John Warner and Sons bell foundry at Cripplegate. The bells stopped ringing in 1999 when the church roof and West window masonry were replaced. When the scaffolding was taken down, the bells were inspected and declared unsafe to ring. A major appeal to restore the bells was undertaken between 2008 and 2014, with the bells being cleaned, re-tuned, and rehung with a brand new frame and fittings at a lower position in the tower. The heaviest bell now weighs 12cwt 0qtr 24 lb (almost two thirds of a ton). The Rt. Revd. James Newcome (Bishop of Carlisle) rededicated the bells at a special service on Sunday 9 March 2014.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 03/02/2019).
Visit the page: St. James' Church, Barrow-in-Furness for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from Geograph (geograph)
St James Church, Barrow-in-Furness

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St James the Great, Barrow-in-Furness: mid-February 2015

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St James the Great Church, Barrow

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St James the Great Church, Barrow

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Ordnance Survey Cut Mark

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST JAMES - Barrow - List Entry
- "Church. 1867-69. By EG Paley, vestry added 1883. Red brick with blue brick patterning; ashlar sandstone dressings and spire; green slate roof. 6-bay nave with lean-to aisles and south porch ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://www.facebook.com/St...
St James' Church, Barrow - Facebook
- Facebook pages of St James' Church, Barrow.

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES