CHURCH OF ST JAMES - Barrow - List Entry

  • Description

    "Church. 1867-69. By EG Paley, vestry added 1883. Red brick with blue brick patterning; ashlar sandstone dressings and spire; green slate roof. 6-bay nave with lean-to aisles and south porch; polygonal apse to chancel with 4-stage tower and spire on south side, organ chamber to north and vestry at end of corridor wing projecting east. Gothic Revival style....Organ rebuilt from that purchased for St James' Palace by William IV in 1837, the makers Hill and Davison; used at the wedding of Queen Victoria in 1840 but disposed of in 1866 and brought to Barrow 1868..... HJ Austin joined EG Paley in 1868 and the final scheme here is likely to show his influence...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1197881
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 11 months ago
    Viewed: 192 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES