List number: 1045326
List grade: 2
Keys to the Past HER: N8337
Post code: NE46 2LA
Grid ref: NY9280357727

Church of St Helen, Whitley Chapel


St Helen’s Church in Whitley Chapel was built in 1742 on the site of an earlier Medieval building. Abraham Brown, at that time the Master of the Grammar School in Hexham, was appointed as the first curate in 1748.[1] The church was a detached jurisdiction of the Archbishop of York, until becoming part of the Diocese of Newcastle in 1882. In 1662 the earlier building was in use as a school, then in 1694-5 a subscription was raised to make the building a place of worship, possibly as a reaction to Quakers in the area using Chapel Hill as their meeting place.[2] The church is a Grade II listed building.

from Geograph (geograph)
St. Helen's Church, Whitley Chapel (2)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Helen's Church, Whitley Chapel

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Helen's Church, Whitley Chapel - font

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Helen's Church, Whitley Chapel - east window

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Helen's Church, Whitley Chapel

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Helen's Church, Whitley Chapel - interior

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Helen's Church, Whitley Chapel - stained glass window (2)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Helen's Church, Whitley Chapel - lectern

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Helen's Church, Whitley Chapel - gravestone

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St. Helen's Church, Whitley Chapel - gravestone detail

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST HELEN - Whitley Chapel - List Entry
- "Parish church on medieval site, 1742 with some C19 alterations. Rubble with tooled dressings; slate roof. Simple rectagular plan with C19 vestry built onto west end. South wall 5 bays ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.northernvicar.co...
Whitley Chapel, Northumberland – St Helen
- "....St Helen’s church was a peculiar or detached jurisdiction of the Archbishop of York until becoming part of the Diocese of Newcastle in 1882....According to the guidebook, in ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.hexhamshire.org....
St Helen’s Church
- Includes details of services and events, plus a section on the history of the Church.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Church of St Helen, Whitley Chapel (Hexhamshire and District)
- "This church was built in about 1742 and there has been a church on this site since medieval times. The medieval chapel was rebuilt in 1662, and in about 1715 ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES