Whitley Chapel, Northumberland – St Helen

  • Description

    "....St Helen’s church was a peculiar or detached jurisdiction of the Archbishop of York until becoming part of the Diocese of Newcastle in 1882....According to the guidebook, in 1662 the building was probably in use as a school, in 1694-5 a subscription was raised to make the building fit for Divine Service – perhaps as a reaction to the fact that the Quakers in the area used the Chapel Hill as their meeting place. More building work took place in 1742 and a Curate was appointed......"
  • Owner

    Northernvicar’s Blog
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.northernvicar.co.uk/2010/10/01/whitley-chapel-northumberland-st-helen/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 102 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES