List number: 1042195
List grade: 2
Grid ref: NT7971238423
Post code: TD12 4RW

Church of St Cuthbert, Carham


The present church at Carham in Northumberland was built in 1790 on the site of a much earlier church. A daughter house of Lindisfarne may have been established by St Cuthbert somewhere in the Carham area in the second half of the 7th century, but this was destroyed during a border raid in 1296. In the 16th century a small Anglican church was built before being replaced by the current church. The West Tower, chancel and vestry were added in c.1864. In 2002-4, major repairs were undertaken to the tower after huge cracks had appeared. The church is a Grade II listed building. It is located near the banks of the River Tweed, just 200yds from Scotland.

from http://commons.wikimedia.or...
Parish Church of St Cuthbert, Carham
- Photo from geograph.org.uk available under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 licence - c/o Wikimedia Commons

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Parish Church of St Cuthbert, Carham

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Inside the Parish Church of St Cuthbert, Carham

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
The entrance to the Parish Church of St Cuthbert, Carham

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
The Parish Church of St Cuthbert at Carham

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
A symbolic gravestone at Carham

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Carham Parish Church dedicated to St. Cuthbert

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from https://historicengland.org...
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT - Carham - List Entry
- "Parish church. Nave 1790 by R. Hodgson Huntley. West tower and chancel added and nave windows Gothicized, c.1870. Nave random rubble with ashlar dressings, later work ashlar; Welsh slate ...

Added by
Pat Thomson
Saint Cuthbert (634-687)
  Co-Curate Page
Saint Cuthbert (634-687)
- Overview About St Cuthbert Cuthbert is a saint of the early Northumbrian church in the Celtic tradition. In the former Kingdom of Northumbria, Cuthbert was associated with the monasteries of ...
from http://www.carhamparish.org...
Carham Parish Community Website
- The Parish villages, that lie along the border with Scotland, including Carham, East Learmouth, Hagg, Howburn, Pressen Hill, Shidlaw, Sunilaws, Tithehill, Wark-on-Tweed & Wark Common, and West Learmouth.

Added by
Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Carham Church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES