Topics > County Durham > Westgate > Cambokeels Fluorite Mine

Cambokeels Fluorite Mine


Cambokeels Mine initially opened as a lead mine in 1847, but this has closed by 1871. In 1906 it was re-opened, but as a fluorspa mine. It was abandoned in 1989.

Westgate Fluorspar Mining
from Geograph (geograph)
Mine buildings, Cambokeels

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Cambokeels mine level

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Cambokeels mine incline

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Cambokeels mine

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Derelict Building

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Cambokeels mine tippler

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Cambokeels mine plant

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Cambokeels mine incline

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Cambokeels tippler shed

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Cambokeels

Pinned by Peter Smith
from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
Cambokeels (Fluorspar)

Added by
Peter Smith
from https://metalanddust.org/20...
https://metalanddust.org/2015/09/12/cambokeels-fluorite-mine/
- "Cambokeels Mine was built on an abandoned medieval village, opening initially in 1847 as a lead mine. Poor yields lead to closure in 1871. The mine lay dormant until 1906 ...

Added by
Peter Smith

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES