Bromfield Parish, 1848
BROMFIELD (St. Kentigern), a parish, in the union of Wigton, partly in Cumberland ward, E. division, but chiefly in Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division, of Cumberland; comprising the chapelry of Allonby, and the townships of Blencogo, Dundraw with Kelsick, Langrigg with Mealrigg, and West Newton; and containing 2,312 inhabitants, of whom 364 are in the township of Bromfield with Crookdake and Scales, 6 miles (W. by S.) from Wigton. It is situated on the shore of the Solway Firth. The living is a vicarage, endowed with part of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £22; net income, £270; patron, the Bishop of Carlisle; impropriator of the remainder of the great tithes, Sir Henry Fletcher, Bart. The tithes were commuted for land in 1817. There is a separate incumbency at Allonby. A free school, in the churchyard, was founded by Richard Osmotherly in 1612, and endowed with £10 a year: this was subsequently augmented by a donation of £100 from the family of Tomlinson; and in 1805, Mr. Tomlinson bequeathed £1400, one-fourth of which was assigned to the school. In a field belonging to the vicar, the site of Mungo Castle is visible.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.