Branthwaite is a village in the Allerdale district of Cumbria, located about 4 miles south-east of Workington and 5 miles south-west of Cockermouth. Historically, Branthwaite was a township in the ancient parish of Dean, in Cumberland. Today, the village forms part of Dean Civil Parish. Branthwaite Hall is located about half mile north-east of the village.
Not to be confused with Branthwaite in Caldbeck, also in the Allerdale district of Cumbria.
BRANTHWAITE, a township, in the parish of Dean, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 6 miles (S.W.) from Cockermouth; containing 300 inhabitants. Several years since, a considerable quantity of a ferruginous kind of limestone, called catscalp, was obtained here, and sent to the iron-works at Clifton and Seaton; but this branch of trade has ceased. There are quarries of white freestone, a woollen manufactory, a paper-mill, and two corn-mills. The Methodists have a place of worship.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Branthwaite is a hamlet in the borough of Allerdale, Cumbria, England. The hamlet is approximately 5 mi (8 km) from Workington and 7 mi (11 km) from Cockermouth. It is located just outside the Lake District National Park.
Branthwaite has few amenities, there is one public house, The Wild Duck. The River Marron runs through Branthwaite. There is a former trout farm. There is also a former mill, which is now home to the local motor engineering business.
Branthwaite Hall is an old peel tower that is in between Branthwaite and Dean.
Branthwaite is in the parliamentary constituency of Copeland, Trudy Harrison is the Member of Parliament.
For Local Government purposes it is in the Dalton Ward of Allerdale Borough Council and part of the Cockermouth South Ward of Cumbria County Council.
Branthwaite does not have its own parish council, instead it is part of Dean Parish Council, which also covers villages of Dean, Deanscales, Eaglesfield, Pardshaw and Ullock.
- Malcolm Wilson (born 1956), rally driver and rally-team owner