Blucher is a former pit village in Newcastle, about half a mile east of Walbottle. The village grew up around Blucher Pit, which was part of Walbottle Colliery, and named after the Prussian Field Marshal von Blücher - an ally of the Duke of Wellington in the victory over Napoleon in the Battle of Warterloo. George Stephenson also named one of his early locomotives "Blücher" after von Blücher. The Methodist Church in the village of Blucher was dedicated to Stephenson. Blucher Pit closed in 1956.