Topics > Tyne and Wear > Newcastle upon Tyne > Blucher > Blucher Pit, Walbottle Colliery

Blucher Pit, Walbottle Colliery


Blucher Pit, part of Walbottle Colliery, was either sunk or renamed in 1815 following the Battle of Waterloo, when two pits were named in honour of the victorious generals, Wellington and Blucher. Blucher Pit closed in 1867 but was reopened in 1900, by the Throckley Coal Company. In 1924/5 the Blucher Pit was closed again; Blucher started up again in 1938.[1] Blucher pit finally closed on the 27th of January, 1956.[2
Blucher
from Flickr (flickr)
Blucher Pit

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Back Lane between Simpson and Spencer Terraces, Blucher

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Trackbed of North Walbottle Waggonway at Blucher

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(3939): Blucher, Walbottle Colliery, Blucher Pit
- "Walbottle Colliery, Blucher Pit. This colliery was either sunk or renamed in 1815 following the Battle of Waterloo when two mines were named in honour of the victorious generals, Wellington ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
Throckley 'Blucher' Colliery

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



Tyne & Wear HER: 3939
Grid ref: NZ17696607

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES