Tyne & Wear HER: 3560
Grid ref: NZ166624

Blaydon Burn Colliery (1850s - 1956)


Blaydon Burn Colliery was established in the 1850s, owned by Joseph Cowen. By the 1890s the colliery was producing about 100,000 tons of coal per year, transported by rail to be shipped at Tyne Dock. In the 1900s the colliery was owned by Priestman Collieries Ltd. Initially there was Blaydon Main Colliery, (Milner Pit) and Victoria Drift (ruins of the entrance still visible).[1] Later there were 2 main pits; 'Bessie' and 'Mary', producing coal for coking, gas, fireclay and associated brick manufacturing. At the height of it's employment in 1935 there were 1,178 people working at the colliery (958 working below ground and 220 on the surface).[2] Blaydon Burn Colliery closed on the 3rd of November 1956.

from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
Blaydon Burn Colliery

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
046257:Blaydon Burn Colliery Locomotive Blaydon Burn Unknown c.1896

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Ruined buildings of former colliery, Blaydon Burn

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Bessie Pit Drift Mine Entrance, Blaydon Burn

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Retaining wall and remains of Coal Drops, Blaydon Burn

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(1661): Blaydon Burn, Blaydon Main Colliery, Milner Pit
- "The Milner Pit is not marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey plan (c.1855), but does appear on the second edition in 1896. It exploited the Hodge or Camel ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(1644): Blaydon Burn Colliery, Victoria Drift
- "Part of Blaydon Burn Colliery (HER 3560), which opened in the 1850s and closed in 1956. The entrance to this old level is still visible and there are colliery buildings ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(3560): Blaydon Burn, Betsy Pit/Belsay Pit
- "etsy Pit (Coal), also known as Belsay Pit became part of Blaydon Burn Colliery, eventually closing in the 1950s. This small pit belonged to Joseph Cowen who owned the brickworks ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES