Retaining wall and remains of Coal Drops, Blaydon Burn

  • Description

    "Coal from the Bessie (or Betsey) Drift Mine [[2820141]] situated directly to the east, on the valley side, was carried on an elevated platform across the valley to the drops where it was loaded into waggons for transport to the Blaydon Tyne staithes. The doorway on the left has a set of steps which provided access to the upper platform. The Betsie Pit was part of Joseph Cowen's Blaydon Burn Colliery in operation in the mid C19th. Around 1900 it was taken over by Priestman Collieries and finally closed in the 1950s by the National Coal Board." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2012.
  • Owner

    Andrew Curtis
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 350 times
    Picture Taken: 2012-02-19
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.