Topics > County Durham > Civil Parishes in County Durham > Barnard Castle Civil Parish (Town Council)

Barnard Castle Civil Parish (Town Council)


About the Parish

Overview:

Barnard Castle Civil Parish, in the south part of County Durham, is located by the River Tees, about 21 miles south-west of Durham and 13 miles west of Darlington. The parish incorporates the vast bulk of the town of Barnard Castle. A small part of the east of the town (High Riggs and Castle Vale Estate) falls under Marwood Civil Parish.

Main Settlements: Barnard Castle (town)
Population:

5,495  (2011 Census)

5,189  (2001 Census)

Area:  2.26 km²
Parish Council:

Barnard Castle Town Council

The Council's offices are situated on the ground floor of Woodleigh in Flatts Road.

Unitary Authority: Durham County Council

Historical

Ancient Township:

Barnard Castle - Chapelry & Market Town

Townships and chapelries became civil parishes in their own right in 1866 (see below).

Ancient Parish:

Gainford Parish  (St Mary)

Ancient parishes refer to the parishes before the split between ecclesiastical (church) and civil parishes in the 19th century. They had a parish church and often were composed of multiple townships and chapelries. In many cases, townships and parishes were originally based on the territory of manors from the feudal system during medieval times. Civil parishes were created following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which Church of England parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes" which could set their own poor rate (tax). Then the reforms of Local Government Act 1894 established elected civil parish councils (or parish meetings for parishes with less than 300 residents) and created urban and rural districts. Boundaries of parishes and civil parishes may have changed over time.

Poor Law Union:

Teesdale Poor Law Union, formed in 1837.

Teesdale Union Workhouse was located at Barnard Castle. 

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 parishes were grouped into Unions, each of which had to build a workhouse if they did not already have one. It ended the old system of locally provided poor relief which had come under strain as numbers out of work grew, following increasing mechanisation of agriculture and the economic downturn after the Napoleonic Wars, along with changing social attitudes. The workhouse provided those unable to support themselves financially with accommodation and work. Inmates were generally segregated into men, women, boys and girls. 

The workhouse system was abolished by the Local Government Act 1929, but many workhouses lived on as 'Public Assistance Institutions' until the National Assistance Act 1948.

District Council:

Barnard Castle Urban District, formed in 1894. The district was abolished in 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972.

Teesdale District (County Durham) from 1974 to 2009.

The district council was abolished when County Durham became a unitary authority on the 1st of April 2009.

See also: Historic Buildings and Monuments in Barnard Castle Note: listed buildings are generally the responsibility of the county council, rather than the parish council.

Civil Parishes in County Durham Barnard Castle, 1848 Barnard Castle (town) Historic Buildings and Monuments in Barnard Castle
from https://barnardcastletownco...
Barnard Castle Town Council
- Website of the Council

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Barnard Castle (town)
  Co-Curate Page
Barnard Castle (town)
- Overview History Map Street View Barnard Castle is a market town in Teesdale, County Durham. The town is named after the castle around which it developed. It is located on ...
Barnard Castle, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Barnard Castle, 1848
- BARNARD-CASTLE, a market-town and chapelry, in the parish of Gainford, union of Teesdale, S.W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 25 miles (S.W. by W.) ...
from https://keystothepast.info/...
Local History: Barnard Castle
- "The picturesque town of Barnard Castle stands over the waters of the River Tees, which used to form the boundary between Durham and Yorkshire until 1974. The remains of the ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://www.visionofbritain...
Barnard Castle CP/Ch

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES