Topics > County Durham > Windlestone > Windlestone Township, 1848

Windlestone Township, 1848


WINDLESTON, a township, in the new district of Coundon, parish of St. Andrew Auckland, union of Auckland, S. E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 4 miles (E.S.E.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing 215 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1,250 acres, and has been long the property of the Eden family, of whom Sir Robert Johnson Eden, Bart., rebuilt Windleston Hall about twenty years since. The village lies west of the road from Aycliffe to Ferryhill.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Windlestone Rushyford Parish of Auckland, St. Andrew, 1848
from https://openlibrary.org/boo...
A topographical dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, 7th Ed., 1848
- A topographical dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships, and the islands of Guernsey, Jersey, and Man, with historical and statistical ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Rushyford
  Co-Curate Page
Rushyford
- Overview Map Street View Rushyford is a village in County Durham located immediately south of Chilton and about 2 miles north of Newton Aycliffe. The village is situated on the old ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES