West Pelton Colliery (1858 - 1921)
West Pelton Colliery opened in 1858 and was one of a number of local collieries run by James Joicey & Co. There were a number of pits and shafts associated with the colliery: Alma Pit, Engine Pit and Whitehall Pit. In 1914 West Pelton Colliery employed 408 men and boys (335 working below ground and 73 on the surface). The colliery was served by a branch line of the Stanhope and Tyne Railway, with some of the coal produced, being transported to South Shields for shipping. The colliery closed in 1921 after some of the coal seams were exhaused.