Warwick (Eden) Parish, 1848
WARWICK (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union of Carlisle, partly in Cumberland ward, and partly in Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland; containing, with the townships of Aglionby and Little Corby, 645 inhabitants, of whom 225 are in Warwick township, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Carlisle. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Eden, and on the west by the Irthing; and, from some large earthworks still remaining, is supposed to be the site of the ancient Virosidum, where the sixth cohort of the Nervii was stationed. The village is pleasantly situated on the western bank of the Eden, which is crossed by a bridge of four arches, near the base of an eminence on which are the remains of trenches, probably thrown up to guard the pass during the border feuds. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Wetheral. The church is a small stone edifice, of singular appearance, partly in the Norman style, with a semicircular chancel, and 13 lancet windows.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.