Wark Township (Carham), 1848
WARK, a township, in the parish of Carham, union of Glendale, W. division of Glendale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 4½ miles (W.S.W.) from Coldstream. It is bounded on the north by the river Tweed, and comprises about 3,000 acres of land, mostly arable; the surface, on the banks of the Tweed, is rather level, and the soil of the township is a good deep loam. The whole is the property of the Earl of Tankerville, with the exception of 100 acres, the occupiers of which claim exemption from rent. The village is situated on the road from Kelso to Cornhill; and a little "to the west are the ruins of Wark Castle, on a circular mount apparently formed by art. This fortress was a formidable bulwark in the 12th century, when, according to Leland, it was built by order of Henry II.; and it forms a prominent object in the annals of the border wars. The great tithes of Wark and Sunnilaws have been commuted for £551, and the small tithes for £77.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.