Rockcliffe and Cargo War Memorial


The war memorial for Rockcliffe and Cargo is located in the churchyard of St Mary's Church in Rockcliffe. The memorial commemorates 14 local servicemen who lost their lives in the First World War. It was unveiled on the 11th of July 1920 by Major Sandeman DSO, MC, of the Border Regiment and dedicated by the Revd. RC Powles. The names of 4 men who died in the Second World War were added after that conflict.[1]

from Geograph (geograph)
The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Rockcliffe and Cargo, War Memorial

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The War Memorial at Rockcliffe

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Rockcliffe War Memorial - April 2017

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memo...
Rockcliffe and Cargo War Memorial
- "....Carved cross with a bronze plaque below depicting a soldier in uniform marching down a country lane. Inscription/ REMEMBER THESE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Church of St Mary, Rockcliffe
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Mary, Rockcliffe
-

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES