Topics > Cumbria > Ambleside > War Memorial, Ambleside

War Memorial, Ambleside


The war memorial in Ambleside is located on a prominent raised plot in the churchyard of St Mary's Church. The memorial was built to commemorate 68 local servicemen who lost their lives in the First World War. It was unveiled on the 6th of March 1921 by Lt. Colonel George Gateny and dedicated by the Bishop of Barrow.[1] Later, the names of 26 local men who were killed in the Second World War were added to the memorial.

Ambleside War Memorials Church of St Mary, Ambleside Ambleside at War
from Geograph (geograph)
War memorial

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
St Mary, Ambleside, Cumbria - Porch & memorial

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memo...
MEMORIAL: Ambleside Cross
- "....A slate memorial comprising a botonne cross, with a rose carved in a coiled roundel at the crossing, mounted on a tapered octagonal shaft, which is set into a roofed ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Ambleside 12-7-14

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Ambleside War Memorial

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES