Ambleside War Memorial

  • Description

    St Mary’s Church Ambleside was built between 1850 and 1854 in the Early Gothic style. The architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott. It was not as ornate as many Victorian churches, and was one of the first in the North to incorporate ideas from the Oxford Movement. Unlike many Lakeland churches, it has a spire, and is built of sandstone which was more easily worked than the local slate. Probably the oldest feature of the Church is the ancient sandstone font near the entrance to the Wordsworth Chapel, which may date from pre-Reformation times, and which was found in the belfry of St Annes’ Church in 1899.
  • Owner

    Bill Cumming
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? All Rights Reserved (Seek permission to reuse)
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/44795158@N06/51431928464/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 244 times
    Picture Taken: 2011-11-03T10:52:30
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES