Walton Monument, Alston
The Walton Monument in Alston is a 5 metre high granite column, built in honour of mining engineer and proprietor, Jacob Walton (1809 -1863), who played an important role in the development of lead mining in the region. The monument, which stands outside Alston Town Hall, was originally erected in 1864. However, it was taken down in 1960 to allow the widening of the junction of Front Street and Townfoot. With the support of the National Lottery Heritage Fund, the monument was re-erected in 2004, just a few metres from where it had previously stood for almost 100 years. A re-inauguration ceremony was held on the 6th of July 2004, with the attendees including 4 generations of the Walton family and the Stanhope Silver Band.