Description"Commissioned by the merchants of Lancaster in 1790. Its purpose was to improve the navigation of the River Lune and act as a guide for cargo ships from the West Indies bound for Glasson Docks. The lighthouse was not built to benefit Barrow as it was only a small farming community at this time. It was originally built as a wooden tower which burnt down in 1803 when the lantern caught fire. The present octagonal stone tower was completed the following year. It was once run by Britain's only female lighthouse-keeper, Peggy Braithwaite. For sources and further information try http://web.onetel.net.uk/~davidmbooth/walneylight.htm and http://www.walney-island.com/walney_lighthouse_01.htm http://cumbriancoastline.co.uk/users/UserFiles/File/south%20walney%20nature%20reserve%20leaflet.pdf" Photo by Rob Noble, 2014.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4113490
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 5 years, 2 months ago
Viewed: 363 times
Picture Taken: 2014-08-02