Vermont Hotel (former County Hall)
The Vermont Hotel, former County Hall building, is located on Castle Garth and Side (street) in Newcastle. The Classical-style County Hall was completed in 1910, designed by J. A. Bain. In 1933, there were major modifications, with a rear, right extension down to the Side, and new top storeys, by Cackett, Dick and McKellar. The Northumberland County Arms are displayed above the porch. The building was the headquarters and meeting place of Northumberland County Council from 1910 to 1981. County Hall was a 'detached' part of the County of Northumberland (following local government reorganisation in 1974, a new County Hall for Northumberland was built in Morpeth). The building was converted into the Vermont Hotel in 1993. The Old County Hall is a Grade II listed building on the National Heritage List for England.