Topics > Northumberland > Blyth > Headway ArtsSpace, former URC Church

Headway ArtsSpace, former URC Church


Headway ArtSpace is located in The Old Church on Waterloo Road in Blyth. The brick-built Gothic revival-style church was built 1874-1876, by Thomas Oliver junior. It was originally a Presbyterian church, becoming part of the United Reformed Church (URC) in 1972. This is a Grade II listed building on the National Heritage List for England. In the past, it is said that the 200ft Gothic church spire acted as a landmark, guiding mariners back to the shelter of the port. Its grand organ was custom built by J.J. Binns of Leeds. By 2008, the church's congregation had dropped to levels that meant the upkeep of the building was no longer viable. The congregation of Blyth URC now worship at St Wilfrid's Convent Chapel, which is immediately opposite the old church. Headway Arts took out a lease on the Old Church building in c.2016. The former church is situated within the Bondicar Conservation Area of Blyth. 

Blyth 1876 Grade II Listed Former Church United Reformed Church Historic Buildings and Monuments in Blyth
from Geograph (geograph)
The United Reformed Church, Waterloo Road, Blyth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://headwayarts.co.uk/
Headway Arts
- Website of Headway Arts, with details of the ArtSpace, projects, resources and how to get involved.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Waterloo-Road-URC-G-01-July-2015

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Waterloo-Road-URC-I-01-July-2015

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.blythchurches.co.uk
Blyth United Reformed Church
- "The congregation of Blyth URC worship at St Wilfrid's Convent Chapel, which is immediately opposite the old church. Here we continue as a busy and active place of worship ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
BLYTH UNITED REFORMED CHURCH - List Entry
- "United Reformed Church, formerly Presbyterian. 1874-6 by Thomas Oliver junior. Brick in English Garden Wall Bond 1 and 3, with ashlar dressings; Lakeland slate roof with terracotta ridge cresting. T-plan ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://www.chroniclelive.c...
Blyth United Reformed Church to close after 130 years
- Evening Chronicle, 8th December, 2008. "...the United Reformed Church in Blyth town centre is to close its doors because not enough people are coming through them and the upkeep of ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://discovery.nationala...
BLYTH WATERLOO ROAD UNITED REFORMED (FORMERLY PRESBYTERIAN) CHURCH RECORDS
- The first Presbyterian Church was built in Church Street in 1814 although a Presbyterian congregation existed in Blyth as early as 1776. The present church in Waterloo Street was opened ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1041348
List grade: 2
Post code: NE24 1BY
County: Northumberland
Grid ref: NZ3106581370

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES