Topics > Transport and Travel > Railway > Tweedmouth to Kelso Branch Line
Tweedmouth to Kelso Branch Line
The Kelso Branch was a twin track branch railway in Northumberland, England and Roxburghshire, Scotland that ran from on the East Coast Main Line via seven intermediate stations to .
Authorised in 1845 the Kelso Branch was built by the North Eastern Railway to link the communities of the Tweed valley with the fledgling railway network at . The line opened in two stages, to on 27 July 1849, and to on 1 June 1851.
In 1887 the Alnwick Branch was opened linking to the line just to the west of station.
The Tweedmouth-Kelso-St Boswells line provided part of an alternative route when the East Coast Main Line was blocked north of most notably when in August 1948 when the main line was closed for three months.
In 1955 all the stations on the line apart from Coldstream and Norham closed to passengers, and on 15 June 1964 passenger services were withdrawn along the whole line. Freight services between Tweedmouth and Kelso followed suit the next year on 29 March with the complete closure of the line. Only one track of the double line between Kelso and Tweedmouth was initially lifted, but all track was removed in 1969 from St Boswells through to Tweedmouth following closure of the freight service to Kelso and complete closure of the Waverley Route.
Visit the page: Kelso Branch for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
Add a comment or share a memory.