Tughall Township, 1848
TUGGAL, or Tughall, a township, in the parish, and N. division of the ward, of Bambrough, union of Belford, N. division of Northumberland, 3 miles (N.N.W.) from Embleton; containing 119 inhabitants. It is situated at the southern extremity of the parish, near Tuggal burn, which shortly falls into the sea; and comprises about 1,500 acres of good wheat land and excellent pasture, in the proportions of two-thirds of the former and one-third of the latter. At a little distance eastward from the village stands Tuggal Hall. Here is a chapel in ruins.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.