Todburn Township (Longhorsley Parish), 1848
TODBURN, a township, in the parish of Long Horsley, union of Rothbury, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 8 miles (N.W. by N.) from Morpeth; containing 22 inhabitants. This place belonged to the Merlays, and some lands were also held here by the Plessys; other proprietors have been, the families of Thornton, Lumley, Horsley, and Collingwood. The township comprises about 691 acres, of a thin clayey soil, and is now the property of C. W. Bigge, Esq. It is divided from Wingates by the Tod burn, which is formed by the Wray and Wingates burns, and which, after taking in the Linden, falls into the Coquet a little above Weldon bridge; the banks are generally steep and narrow, but beautifully wooded, especially on the left side.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.