Thrislington Township, 1848
THRISLINGTON, a township, in the parish of Bishop's-Middleham, union of Sedgkfield, N.E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 7½ miles (S.S.E.) from Durham; containing 24 inhabitants. This place, originally called Thurstanton, is bounded on the west by the river North Skerne, which, rising in the marsh between Ferryhill and Thrislington, pursues its course southward. The produce of a colliery here, is shipped on the Tees. Thrislington Hall stands immediately on the east bank of the marsh; on the west side was the ancient "wood of Fery," now reduced to a straggling hazel copse, interspersed with a few remains of old forest timber, ash and elm. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £9. 13.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.