Thrimby with Little Strickland, 1848
THRIMBY, with Little Strickland, a chapelry, in the parish of Morland, West ward and union, county of Westmorland, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Shap; containing 200 inhabitants, of whom 66 are in the township of Thrimby. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80; patron, the Vicar of Morland; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle, whose tithes were partly commuted for land in 1830, and partly under the late act for a rent-charge of £20. 13. 10. There is a glebe of 25½ acres. The present chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, was consecrated in 1814, having been built at Little Strickland, together with a school-house, by the Earl of Lonsdale. The school was founded in 1684, by Thomas Fletcher.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.