Thorpe Bulmer Township, 1848
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
THORPE-BULMER, a township, in the parish of Hart, union of Stockton, S. division of Easington ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 3 miles (W.N.W.) from Hartlepool; containing 21 inhabitants. This township derives the adjunct to its name from the family of Bulmer, one of whom, Sir John Bulmer, was attainted in the reign of Henry VIII. It comprises by measurement 827 acres, of which 88 are woodland, 66 common or waste, and the remainder arable and pasture; the soil is of a clayey quality, in some parts very productive, and the scenery in general is beautiful. Hesleton dene forms the northern boundary, where the banks are covered with hesles and forest-trees. The three farms of Thorpe-Bulmer, Middle-Thorpe, and Crimdon are in the township; and the Hartlepool railway passes here, through an immense excavation called the Crimdon cut. The tithes have been commuted for £70, payable to the vicar of Hart.