THE KIRK MISSION HALL, GATEPIERS AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALL - Whitehaven - List Entry

  • Description

    "Non conformist church, now redundant. Mid C18, with C19 and C20 alterations. Rubble sandstone, brought to courses, with ashlar dressings, and roughcast rendered in part, or wholly in all elevations. Welsh-slated roof, with stone copings to south-west gable....The Kirk was originally the church of Whitehaven's Scots Presbyterians before becoming a methodist house in the late C19. The building is identified as 'High Meeting' in J. Howards survey of Whitehaven of 1790. Plain gatepiers, square on plan, with oversailing caps, and rubble stone boundary wall, with saddleback coping, which encloses burial ground to south east of Kirk...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1263964
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Edmund Anon
    Last modified: 1 month, 2 weeks ago
    Viewed: 22 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES