Topics > Heritage Sites > Wallington > The Arches

The Arches


"The Arches" were originally built in 1735 as the courtyard gateway to Wallington Hall. However, later they proved too narrow for coaches and were moved and re-erected as an eyecatcher in 1751.[1] The Arches are a Grade II* listed building.

Wallington Grade II* Listed 1735 Historic Buildings and Monuments in Wallington Demesne Civil Parish
from Geograph (geograph)
The Arches, Wallington

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
'The Arches', Wallington

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
THE ARCHES - Wallington - List Entry
- "Courtyard gateway from Wallington Hall, 1735, re-erected as eyecatcher 1751. Squared stone with ashlar dressings. 3 bays. slightly-projecting pedimented centre bay has semicircular arch; flanking bays..."

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://keystothepast.info/...
The Arches (Wallington Demesne)
- "This courtyard gateway originally leading to Wallington Hall was built about 1735. It was moved and re-erected as an eyecatcher in 1751- it was moved because the arches were too ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1370638
List grade: 2*
Keys to the Past HER: N10530
County: Northumberland
Grid ref: NZ0322684922

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES