Description"The expanding village of Swarthmoor is in the parish of Pennington, situated astride the A590 Ulverston to Barrow road. Prior to 1850 there were no houses in Swarthmoor, just a few farmsteads. A Mr Tom Town owned a small triangular field of a few acres, which he set out in proposed streets, to be named after local people. A few cottages were built and the place grew to accommodate the workers from the iron ore mining industry, the Lindal Moor Mines (Messrs Harrison, Ainslie & Co). Some houses in Fox Street were built by John Bolton ('Old Daddy Bolton'), who was a surveyor and geologist. The village has now grown to join up with the hamlets of Cross-a-moor and Trinkeld...."
LicenseWhat does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
Further informationLink: http://www.visitoruk.com/Ulverston/swarthmoor-C592-V29082.html
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 2 years, 9 months ago
Viewed: 171 times
Picture Taken: Unknown