Shotton Township, 1848
SHOTTON, a township, in the parish and union of Easington, S. division of Easington ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 9 miles (E. by S.) from Durham; containing 603 inhabitants. This place, anciently Ceatton and Scotton, occurs in Boldon book under the latter designation. A considerable portion of the land within the vill is held by copy of court-roll under the manor of Easington. There was a division of common in 1673. The family of Thompson held property here, chiefly by copy of court-roll, at least as early as the reign of Elizabeth; and from them the estate came by marriage, in the middle of the last century, to the Brandlings. About a mile and a half north-west of Shotton is the populous colliery-village of Shotton-Grange; the pit is wrought by the Haswell Coal Company. A free school was founded in 1768, in pursuance of the will of Edward Walton; it has an income of about £30.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.