Topics > Northumberland > Sharperton

Sharperton


Sharperton is a hamlet in Northumberland situated by the River Coquet. It is located about 6 miles west of Rothbury, a mile and a half south-east of Harbottle, and half a mile north of Holystone. Sharperton was the site of a medieval village - documented as having 14 taxpayers in 1296, and described as having two short rows of dwellings in 1632.[1] There was also a 16th century bastle (fortified farmhouse) here[2]; "The Bastle House" (guest accommodation) in modern Shaperton is said to be built from the remains of this fortified dwelling dating back to 1568. Historically, Shaperton had been a township in the ancient parish of Allenton.[3] Then from 1866, Sharperton was a civil parish in its own right, until 1955, when it became part of the Civil Parish of Harbottle.

Northumberland Harbottle Civil Parish Holystone Harbottle River Coquet Sharperton Township, 1848
from Geograph (geograph)
Sharperton village

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
North Sharperton Farm

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Sharperton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Sharperton Common

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Looking across pasture

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Bridge, Sharperton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Wood Hall

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Sheepbanks near Sharperton

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Upper Coquetdale

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Harbottle
  Co-Curate Page
Harbottle
- Overview About Harbottle Map Street View Harbottle is a village in Northumberland, located about 20 miles north-west of Morpeth, and situated by the River Coquet. To the west of the ...
Holystone
  Co-Curate Page
Holystone
- Overview About Holystone Map Street View Holystone is a village in Northumberland, located by the River Coquet, about 2 miles south-east of Harbottle. To the north of the village is ...
from https://keystothepast.info/...
Sharperton deserted medieval village
- "Sharperton deserted medieval village had 14 taxpayers in 1296. A document written in 1632 describes the village as having two short rows....."

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from https://keystothepast.info/...
Sharperton Bastle
- "Some of the wall footings of Sharperton Bastle have been used as foundations for a later cottage extension. Ruins nearby are also part of this late 16th century defended house...."

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.gatehouse-gazett...
SHARPERTON BASTLE, HARBOTTLE
- "Pele at Sharperton (Hadcock 1939). Sharperton, in which is an old tower (Hodgson 1916). NT 95800406 The only feature in the village of Sharperton that has any of the characteristics ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES