Seaton Sluice, 1848
SEATON-SLUICE, or Hartley-Pans, a sea-port, in the township of Hartley, parish of Earsdon, union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6 miles (N.) from North Shields; containing 744 inhabitants. This place is situated at the mouth of a rivulet called Seaton-burn, where Sir Ralph Delaval, with great difficulty, formed a harbour, and constructed a sluice upon the brook, with flood-gates to retain the water from the flow of the tide till the ebb: the body of water thus collected is then discharged, to cleanse the bed of the harbour, and remove from it every impediment to its navigation. Considerable improvements upon the original plan were subsequently made by the late Lord Delaval, who formed a second entrance, or channel, through the solid rock to the sea, by which larger vessels can enter with facility, and which is crossed by a drawbridge. From fifteen to twenty vessels, of 300 tons' burthen each, can now ride in safety at the port, and vessels can sail in or out with any wind. Coal is shipped for the London and other markets, from the Hartley colliery, the produce of which is in much request for the use of steam-vessels: here, likewise, are the extensive glass-bottle works of Messrs. Jobling and Company, some malt-kilns, and a brewery. A blockhouse and battery were erected during the late war, for the defence of the port. Salt was formerly made here in huge pans; hence the affix to one of the names of the place.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.