Salvation Army Citadel, North Shields


The Salvation Army Citadel is located on 28 Howard Street, North Shields. It was originally built in 1811 as Scotch Church, designed by John Dobson. The Scotch Church movement was established in 1759 by the Rev. Joseph Wilkinson; by deed the Minister had to be a licentiate of the Church of Scotland.[1] Later the building became a Salvation Army Citadel.

from Geograph (geograph)
Salvation Army Citadel, Howard Street, North Shields

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
SALVATION ARMY CITADEL (SCOTCH CHURCH) - North Shields - List Entry
- "Non-conformist church, now Salvation Army Citadel. 1811 by John Dobson for seccessionist church. Sandstone ashlar; graduated slate roof. Greek Doric style One storey and attic; 3 bays. Central half-glazed double ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.twsitelines.info...
Tyne and Wear HER(4570): North Shields, Howard Street, Scotch Church (Salvation Army)
- "Scotch Church in Howard Street was constructed in 1811. Shown on Woods 1827 map. Designed by John Dobson in the Greek revival style. Described by Faulkner and Greg as "rather ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
  Co-Curate Page
Howard Street, North Shields

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES