Roker Pier and Lighthouse
The foundation stone for the New North Pier (Roker Pier) at Sunderland was laid on 14 September 1885. With growing use of the port at Sunderland the piers were built to improve the approach to the River Wear by creating an outer harbour, to replace a pair of breakwaters from c1750 (now known as the 'Old' North and South Piers) . The striped lighthouse at the end of the New North Pier was completed in 1903. The planned lighthouse on the New South Pier was never built because of the start of the First World War.