ROKER PIER AND LIGHTHOUSE WITH RAILINGS, LAMP STANDARDS AND PART OF PROMENADE - List Entry

  • Description

    "Pier and lighthouse with lamp standards and railings; short continuation of structure along promenade. 1885-1903. First recommendations by Sir John Coode 1876, amended by River Wear Commission engineer Henry Hay Wake in 1882. Rubble and cement foundation with red and white granite pier and lighthouse; cast-iron railings. Curved plan pier approx 900 metres long, extending from parapet approx 100 metres to N along promenade and from wall in quadrant curve to S. Rock-faced battered red pier walls with ashlar coping of large white granite blocks extend northwards from pier to round-coped parapet on promenade, with railings linking higher sections...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1279906
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 9 months ago
    Viewed: 99 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES