Roddymoor Colliery (1844 - 1963)


The first pit of Roddymoor Colliery was sunk in 1844, near Roddymoor, to the north of Crook in County Durham. It was also known as 'Pease's West Colliery' (in the 1850's the collier was owned by Joseph Pease, Joseph Whitwell Pease, & Joseph Pease & Co.) At its peak, in 1950 there were 1,675 people employed at Roddymoor Colliery (1,429 working below ground and 246 on the surface).[1] Roddymoor Colliery closed on the 10th of August, 1963.

from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
Roddymoor Colliery
- also known as Pease's West Colliery...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES