Description"The present building probably occupies the site of the parson's house, destroyed by the Scots in 1293, 1312 and 1316. It was founded or rebuilt c.1378 as a small monastic establishment of Augustinian canons and vicarage combined, for in that year a license was granted. The cell was abolished but the vicar could not be dispossessed of his accommodation in the building. In 1628 it was rebuilt, much in its present form, with additional alterations being made in the 19th century. http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?resourceID=5&uid=1370472 The gateway on West Road, opposite St Mary's Church, is shown here []" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2013.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3694884
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 1 month ago
Viewed: 21 times
Picture Taken: 2013-10-11