Allendale 1993 [0002-198]

  • Description

    Methodist Chapel with Wesley Cottage on the left (a one time Ale house until bought by the chapel for their caretaker). Situated in Shield Street and still in use. The first chapel on this site was built in 1760, this was rebuilt in 1839 and again in 1875. The pews were removed in in 1986 when the chapel was modernised. Refurbishment took place in 2001 after the building was flooded by a burst pipe during a very cold spell. Picture taken from ‘Methodism in the Allen Dales’ by Evelyn Charlton. Photograph in private ownership. For more information and to see the full archive go to" >
  • Owner

  • Source

    Allen Valleys Local History (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-NonCommercial License
  • Further information

    Resource type: Image
    Last modified: 6 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 553 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.