BENWELL TOWERS

  • Description

    Detailed information and history. " A 19th century house constructed on the site of a series of earlier buildings. The first was a timber framed hall house built circa 1165 and demolished in 1500. It was replaced by a three storey tower house, itself demolished circa 1760 and replaced by a house designed by James Paine. The present house dates from 1831. A Gothic-style chapel was added in 1881. The house served as a bishop's palace between 1882 and 1939 and as a Civil Defence Centre during World War II. From about 1946 Benwell Tower housed a miners' training school and was the headquarters for the Mine Rescue Service . The mobile X-ray machines that travelled to the pits were housed here. Benwell Tower was later converted into a nightclub in 1970. It was converted again in 1973, into a hotel. It was also used as a pub called The Mitre until 1989. The building was then used by the BBC as a studio until 2006...."
  • Owner

    Pastscape - Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=25061
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 328 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES