Derelict building of the Elswick Lead Works on Skinnerburn Road

  • Description

    "On the left, behind, is a large modern gas holder part of a distribution centre for natural gas. The Low Elswick Gas Works, formerly on this site (1857-1859), was involved with the production and distribution of town gas. It was demolished in the 1980s. Behind are the apartment blocks of Riverside Dene : the refurbishment of the Cruddas Park tower blocks, Scotswood Road. The small, remaining building on the right sits on the edge of the Arena car park: Metro Radio Arena west of Redheugh Bridge. This may be a former office building of the old Victoria Railway Sidings." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2011, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
  • Owner

    Geograph.org.uk
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2734351
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 477 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES