Lloyds Bank, Carlisle

  • Description

    "Today this building on Lowther Street is a branch of Lloyds Bank, however, this building has a varied and interesting history. This Grade II listed building was the former post office. On the 12 July 1916 it opened as `The Gretna Tavern' the first State Managed pub in Carlisle. With a a nine-mile long cordite factory at nearby Gretna, excessive alcohol consumption became a problem and to counter this the British Government began nationalising pubs in an effort to control alcohol consumption; it began in the Carlisle and Siloth area and was known as the 'Carlisle Experiment'. In later years the pub underwent several name changes, including `The Shambles' in 1970s and 'The Post Public House' in the 1980s. Historic England description GV II Former Post Office, later a public house. 1863 for Her Majesty's Office of Works by J Williams of London; 1899 additions. Calciferous sandstone ashlar on chamfered painted plinth with part quoin bands/panelled pilasters; string course, cornice and solid parapet. Roof hidden by parapet; red brick ridge and end chimney stacks. 3 storeys, 3 bays extending back in open plan. Left double panelled doors and overlight; 3 casement windows with panelled aprons; overall sign board supported by stone pilasters dividing each window and door. First-floor round-arched sash windows in stone architraves and panelled aprons; 2nd-floor windows with eared surrounds and aprons with roundel. INTERIOR completely refurbished in Victorian style. HISTORY: the site of the Butchers' Arcade of 1844. Plans for this building are in Cumbria County Record Office dated 1863, Ca/E4/2821. For photograph of this when it was the Post Office see Perriam (1989). Carlisle Journal (1899) says that the additional storey was to be started in September to make it the same height as the adjoining Athenaeum. Became the first State Managed pub in Carlisle in 1916 as `The Gretna Tavern'; changed its name to `The Shambles' in 1970s and The Post Public House in the 1980s. (Perriam DR: Carlisle in Camera 2: 1989-: P.9; Carlisle Journal: 25 July 1899). Source: https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1218057 See also: https://historicengland.org.uk/whats-new/first-world-war-home-front/what-we-already-know/land/state-control-of-pubs/" Photo by Philip Halling, 2008.
  • Owner

    Philip Halling
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/958862
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 month ago
    Viewed: 34 times
    Picture Taken: 2008-08-26
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES