Description"Isaac Holden raised the funds to help build this chapel for the Primitive Methodists around 1835. By this date the Primitive Methodists movement had split from the Wesleyans and followers were widely known as Ranters and later as Prims. In the twentieth century, when the chapel closed it has since continued in public use as the public library in Allendale retaining an upstairs gallery and original Victorian marble wall plaques. It is probably a rare example of a former chapel used in this way. The future of the library is now uncertain with a volunteer run library service being one option under consideration. Whether as a chapel or library, there is no better place to study the local history and geography of the Isaac's Tea Trail heritage walk." Photo by Roger Morris, 2010.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2176915
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 1 year, 2 months ago
Viewed: 140 times
Picture Taken: 2010-05-22