Description"It’s difficult to imagine that a village of some 180 souls straddled this lane in 1861. However, mining at the adjacent Whitwell colliery ended in 1875 and houses gradually fell into disrepair and were abandoned. The last ones to go were Wood Row cottages that were in the field to the left of the lane. These were still shown on maps in the nineteen forties." Photo by Roger Smith, 2007.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/422724
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years, 9 months ago
Viewed: 270 times
Picture Taken: 2007-05-04